We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, August 3, 2023

Country Road, Take Me Home

Sundial Bridge, Redding

Our final run up the freeway was truly a sprint (though it felt like more of a slog); we were heading for Portland for the start of the Broadway in Portland season opener. The first day we saw 19 accidents/stalled vehicles, the second day 12, and crossing into Oregon, only six. I get it -- the law of averages. Things cleared out around Lake Shasta, and we both took a deep breath. And then stopped for ice cream at Udders in Grants Pass. Love that place!

We did make it in time for Six at Keller, but it was close! We are magnets for traffic, we are! I know the show has already come and gone in Seattle and Portland, but if you get a chance to see it somewhere else, do it! It's the story of Henry VIII's wives, told by the wives themselves. It's hilarious, and sometimes poignant, with a really great soundtrack. Loved it! If you hear me say (or sing!) something saucy in a British accent in the coming weeks, it's probably from Six. Probably. ;)


This was a GREAT trip. Although we are glad to be home in Oregon, and still have a little PTSD from the traffic/speed of California freeways, we love a road trip and had so much fun. Here are our favorites, or at least some of our favorite memories:

Favorite Hotel:

A: Probably the Residence Inn at Dana Point.

E: Um, the one with THE TRAINS????

A: Well, yes... But we had two rooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen. We were there for several days and got to unpack. Plus we watched all that soccer. And...I had gobs of personal time while you were at your class. lol.

E: Mine was the Sundial Sheraton in Redding. Those fluffy pillows!! Honorable mention to the truck stop with the Ritz Carlton interior. That was a happy surprise! 

Favorite Restaurant:

A: Mosaic; I had that flight of margaritas!

E: How about a place where you ate food too! (I crack myself up!)

A: Delmenico's on the Wharf in Monterey. The ambiance on the pier was great, and I felt like we were part of their family. 

E: This is too hard! We had so much great food. I loved Delmenico's too. I don't know what made me order the Alfredo (I'm not really pasta people), but it was like nothing else I've ever eaten. I did really like Carmelita's in Laguna Beach too, and La Casita Azul in Yucca Valley. We had such delicious food, made and served by incredibly lovely people. That was a trip highlight for sure. 

Mosaic Restaurant in Redding

Favorite Drink:

A: The lavender and jalapeño margarita from my flight at Mosaic. 

E: I only put this question in so I could talk about the drink I had at Mosaic. It was the best drink I've ever had! I know that doesn't mean much since I drink so little, but I swear it was delicious! It was made with "coconut fat washed gin". I can only say that that process has something to do with the density of liquids - there was also pineapple juice, something about taro root and caramelized banana syrup too. Whatever -- loved it!

Favorite Freeway:

E: I asked this just to see the look on my mom's face. It was good! Have you ever seen the movie Galaxy Quest? If not, you have to see it. I think it's funny on its own, but it's bonus funny if you're a Star Trek fan. In the movie, Sigourney Weaver's character repeats the things the ship computer says, right after it is said. Obviously that wears on the rest of the crew after awhile, and she says one of my favorite lines:


 This is how we road trip. Mom drives, British Siri tells us where to go, and I repeat it. Ha!

Also, Siri basically uses Zones of Regulation for traffic warnings. Lots of "red zones"!! 

Place You'd Go Back To:

A: The Stout Grove in the Redwoods.

E: Me too -- actually anywhere in the Redwoods. It is peaceful and calming in a way that is hard to describe. The Stout Grove loop was pretty awesome. 


Favorite Thing You Saw:

A: Sensorio for sure! 

E: Wouldn't it be so fun to see another installation by the artist somewhere else? It was so creative and beautiful. I think the thing that I keep thinking about is the Cholla Garden at Joshua Tree. I don't know why I liked the chollas so much, but I did! 




Weirdest Thing You Saw:

A: I was going to say the freeway shut down (police cars lined up perpendicularly on the freeway), but now I have to go with the wolf. 

E: Oh, the wolf. Y'all we saw someone walking a gray wolf in Redding. And yes, we Googled it, and yes we're sure. It was GIGANTIC, had a bit of mange about it, and was on some sort of homemade rope/leash. On the topic of the animal kingdom, we also saw parakeets in a carrier out at Sensorio, and a cat on a leash at the Starbucks in Coalinga. 😳 As my dad would say: You can't make this stuff up!

Favorite Redwood Experience:

A: I really liked Bolling Grove where we had the picnic that last day. 

E: Me too. I also really liked driving through the Jedidiah Smith State Park. Whatever that road to Crescent City is, I'd drive that again! 


Favorite Siri U-Turn:

A: Going back for Ivy, the Support Otter.

E: I promised not to talk about the time we went the wrong way out of Starbucks... More coffee was needed that morning! I blame the trains.





Favorite Soccer Game:

Disclaimer: So much soccer has happened since we wrote this...

A & E: Of course we loved Horan's header against Netherlands, but we were team Morocco all the way. Seeing them win against South Korea was everything! And since then, seeing them win over Columbia, and then qualify for the Round of 16 minutes later was pretty special!

Favorite Food Network Show:

Food Network is our late night traveling tv go to.

A: I really like Beat Bobby Flay. 

E: I had never seen Supermarket Stakeout before. That's a clever concept! I mean, I liked the show, but I also wouldn't hate it if someone tried to buy my groceries off me like that.  Probably doesn't happen in Seaside. ;)

Your Favorite Sunglasses that I Brought:

A: Really? I guess the mirror ones?

E: I may or may not have brought three different pairs of sunglasses. More if you count the ones I didn't know were already in my car. Accessories are life! Ha!



Most Surprising Thing of the Trip:

A: That the parking and trolley in Monterey worked out as advertised! 

E: Okay, the trolley thing was slick.  And that day was pretty perfect with the aquarium and dinner on the pier. Mine would be when the instant cold pack for my knee exploded. The little white beads inside went EVERYWHERE, and then melted or dried out or whatever. My car is trashed!! 


That's a wrap y'all! Summer is not over, but this awesome summer adventure is. We can't wait for our next trip! 💕



1 comment:

  1. Once again a pleasure to experience through your eyes. Made my day!

    ReplyDelete