On Monday we were in Mykonos!
Well, our ship was in Mykonos. We spent the day at the archaeological site of Delos. If you're starting to see a theme, you're right! We love exploring ruins, history, and ancient cultures.
I used Athena in the title because she is sometimes known as the goddess of warfare and wisdom, and when this tabby cat popped out of the ruins like she ran the place I had a whole new understanding of Ms Winnie Foster. If you've met her, and most of you haven't for very specific reasons, you know she is a fierce defender of me and her home, and also has a wry way of looking you up and down like she knows waaaay more than you do. I'm going to try and keep her royal lineage from her, lest her head get that much bigger.
Delos was settled in the third millennium BC, and also was the birthplace of Artemis and Apollo. I'm just going to leave that right there and let you Google if you're interested. Our brains are full of Greek (and Roman!) mythology, and fact and...fiction? are merging rather seamlessly. 😉
Delos was a religious destination, housing several temples dedicated to Apollo, Artemis, Leto, Zeus and others. It was also a major trade hub, and during its heyday, around 30,000 people lived here. During the Roman rule, it was declared a free port, and no taxes were collected. As a result, a wide variety of people lived and traded here: Syrians, Phoenicians, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, and many more.
It lived several lives before being abandoned. I think pirates had something to do with that, but I'm not quite sure anymore. I do know it wasn't a volcano! Because of its relatively long life, there are different kinds of architecture, art and decoration to be studied.
Only about 10% of the city has been excavated, but even so, they know that it was a place of great wealth and grandeur. Some doorways still stand of marble, and mosaic floors. Most wall frescoes have disappeared, but a few remain to give clues to what it might have been like.
![]() |
| Marble doorway. |
![]() |
| Mosaic floor. |
![]() |
| Same floor, original mosaic from the museum. |
![]() |
| There are marks in the window frame where bars would have been. They assume this was a bank, because the frame is made of marble, showing it as a place of wealth. |
![]() |
| One of the few remaining frescoes. It's so similar to something that we saw in Akrotiri! |
![]() |
![]() |
| How cute is this traveler? |
















No comments:
Post a Comment