We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Monday, March 24, 2014

Countdown Begins

"We live on electronic media and often spend days seeing nothing but pixels. The [National] parks remind us life should be better than that. We can be strong and independent, self-reliant and brave. They remind us that Earth was not meant to be paved, and we were not meant to be the sole inhabitants of it, that true beauty does not hang on walls, but is ever-changing, unpredictable, dangerous, and awesome."
~Nevada Barr

20 years of Spring Breaks!!!  Seriously, I think my math is correct: 4 years of college + 16 years of teaching.  O.  M.  G.  To celebrate this auspicious occasion, we are (drumroll please….) driving across Nevada! Ha, not your first guess, right? :) It's a road trip, and National Park trip -- our favorites.  We are anticipating temperatures that range across 40 degrees, ghost towns, weird stuff I can't now anticipate, food I won't eat, no real coffee to speak of and questionable hotel (hmmm….read:motel) beds.  So why did we pick this trip? Despite our suburban exteriors, we have an overwhelming sense of adventure and a love of the wild west.  And even though Charles Rawlinson didn't go to every single park in the United States, we always feel that he has walked the "long long trail" before us.  I'm pretty sure he didn't end up at the slot machines at the MGM afterward, but, you know, be your own person. Ha!!

I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait!!!  See you on the road on the April 6th!

1 comment:

  1. Happy trails ... I look forward to (virtually) enjoying this trip. J xoxo

    ReplyDelete