We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Sunday, March 21, 2021

Little Bear Cottage

Yes, Thelma & Louise still exist! I think the blog shed a little tear when I logged on tonight. Like everyone else, we have spent the last year at home, doing our part to quell the pandemic. 

This trip was born out of a moment several months ago when mom called me from Fresh Foods (local grocery store) after work to ask if I wanted anything. I bursted into an ugly cry and through heavy sobs asked why she hadn't come to get me. I wanted to go too! Go anywhere! You know what I'm talking about!! And so the search was on for a destination that was safe, and would fill our buckets. We found Little Bear Cottage, tucked into the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, near the entrance to Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park. 

Lake Kaweah, a few miles from "home"

To get here, we've done some driving! To be fair, I've done some riding, reading, and singing, and my travel partner has done the bulk of the driving. I mean, have we been driving, or flying? Californians drive FAST! It feels like we've been going backwards for hundreds of miles, while still driving upwards of 70.  

Our first stop was still in Oregon, at the Rochester covered bridge, which is close to Sutherlin. And that's all I can really say about the location (which is terrifying because I was driving for this stretch!). 



In this very English looking photo, those are white cows, not sheep in the background! 

It's roughly 13 hours from Cannon Beach to Three Rivers, so we headed for a halfway point of Redding. Coming into the Siskiyous we had a beautiful sky to greet us! 


We arrived in Redding just at sunset. Just enough time to stretch our legs and walk across the Sundial Bridge. I'm not a real architecture goon, but this bridge is beautiful. 






The second half of the drive was not as interesting.  Lots of pavement, lots of cars, lots of driving. But here we are safely, ensconced in the most darling of houses (AirBnB). We've got groceries, and a hot tub on the deck, so...🤷 We have every intention of seeing lots of big trees, but are equally as committed to doing a fair bit of nothing inside these walls, which are thankfully, different than the walls we've been looking at for the past year. 

We hope your Spring Break is shaping up to be satisfying and safe as well! 💖 Hope to see you back here for more T&L adventures! 

Hung on either end of Rochester bridge. 



No comments:

Post a Comment