We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Star Baker

This morning we got coffee and griddle donuts and headed to Slick Rock. As an aside, griddle donuts are THE BOMB. I believe it's a normal glazed donut smooshed in a waffle iron. So good. 

Slick Rock is just what it sounds like. Lots of gorgeous smooth rocks in the Kaweah River. Apparently this area is very crowded in the high heat of summer. The brisk wind today meant that we had it mostly to ourselves.




Before I tell you the next part, it's worth mentioning that when we left our house this morning, we found the garbage that the owners had put out at the street was strewn about near the gulley behind our house. There are many bear signs around, so the mind starts to make connections. And so when, during breakfast, we spotted a bear on the hillside on the other side of the river, we were so excited! I'm not going to show you the picture because if you determine it's a cow 1/2 an hour before we did, that would be a real bummer. We did learn later that "problem bears" from the park are rehomed on the hillside behind our house. While we had a watch party later in the hot tub, all we saw was a bobcat. 

Our indoor adventure today consisted of baking and eating. Fourth and fifth graders at my school were treated to a baking demonstration about a month ago via Zoom. Using those recipes, we baked up a storm! We made garlic knots to go with our pasta dinner, cinnamon rolls for tomorrow, and a braided loaf just for fun. I've never made any bread except pizza dough, so it was pretty rewarding!  We also made blackberry and basil mules from a mix we got at Harry & David.  It was a yummy evening!



We may also be binging The Great British Baking Show season 8.... 😉

A note about home, where a mutiny on Hemlock Street was brewing today.  In pre-COVID times, my cats ate twice a day, like most pets. They had breakfast before I left for school, and dinner when I came home. And all was right with the world.  But for roughly the year I was home, the schedule shifted. Cats usually sleep 20 or so hours a day. Unless you are home with them, and then they push the envelope to be by your side every second. Winnie has loved CDL. The document camera was her favorite, although she enjoyed math and staff meetings as well. She's a bit of a diva, and loved her camera time. So she was up, and active more than the average feline. I altered our schedule to feed both cats smaller amounts more often. This kept Winnie more or less controlled, although my students would probably laugh out loud at that assessment. This morning my dad sent me this proof of life photo of my furry munchkins, and made a comment about them not wanting to chat, just wanting to eat.  I zoomed in on Lanny's face, and my heart dropped a little. In his face was a world of expression he usually lacks. And it was then that I realized they had been on an inadvertent diet since my departure on Friday. I told my dad to feed them twice a day, but didn't switch the scoop back to the larger scoop! They had been eating HALF the normal amount of food. Whoops.  Fortunately for me, they will totally blame this snafu on my dad! 😹


We literally do not know what tomorrow brings! You know, other than those cinnamon rolls! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment