We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday, August 19, 2022

Early Grey, Please

If it's a Thelma & Louise vacation, there has to be tea. I mean, unless you're driving across Nevada...  We have enjoyed traditional "high tea" all over: Edmonton, St Louis, Victoria, Portland, Seattle... 💕 And it's always Earl Grey, just like my great-grandfather used to have. Yesterday we headed off to the swanky Fairmont Hotel in Banff to enjoy tea. The tea was delicious, the company was divine, and the view was incredible. 




If you've never had high tea, put it on your list! Even if you think you don't like tea. Tea is very familial for  me, and I have fond memories of drinking it with Grandpa. But if you don't care about tea, let me tell you about the little sandwiches and pastries. Usually the top layer, or first course, if you will, is scones and clotted cream. Clotted cream sounds disgusting, but it's divine. Sort of like marscapone, but not as sweet. 


Scones are hands down my favorite, and I'm always a little annoyed that they are first. In most tea houses, these will be on the top layer of three. But at the Fairmont, these were served separately, and then this very cool "tower" arrived with the rest of the bites. 



Doesn't that look lovely! Mom's favorite sandwich was the "Icelandic Dill Gravlax". To you and me, this is cucumber sandwich with smoked fish. 😂 After I got rid of the fish, this was actual my second favorite. My favorite was the chicken salad.  I am not a fan of the "salad" group of sandwiches be it chicken, egg, tuna....And yes, it's because of the mayonnaise. And the fact that it's all mixed up and everything is touching. ;) This one had tomato bread, grapes, and a layer of almonds for crunch. I took a bite to try it, and loved it so much I had some benadryl for the almonds and polished it right off!  Don't worry, I'm not that careless, the allergy is mild.  On to desserts! Mom's favorite was the matcha cake with raspberry, and mine was the chocolate biscuit cake. Delicious!


After some down time at the condo (we've been so busy!), we headed up Banff's second lift. The gondola we went on previously went up Sulphur Mountain. It's a very busy tourist stop, and for good reason given the views. But there is a second lift, a chairlift which goes up Mount Norquay. It'd be neat if I could tell you that this was in the ________ (enter cardinal direction) part of town, but since the mountains are a full 360°, I have no idea which mountain is which, and where I'm looking. Well, I might be able to pick out Mt Rundle now, but only if I'm looking from a specific direction!




Even with the noise from the lift, it was so quiet and peaceful.  At the top is the Cliffhouse Bistro, which is a little retro cafe from around 1950. I'm sure they have repaired things over the years, but it was like stepping into the past.  Only two other tables were full, and we had this amazing view to enjoy while we ate. 



Not bad, eh? ;) 



Every day seems to top the previous. We are having such a great time! :)

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! You need to download the app (of course there’s an app!) called PeakVisor. It will tell you what mountains you’re looking at with elevation and everything. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Downloading! Thank you. My mom will
      L O V E it. :)

      Delete
  2. Great vacation. Thanks for taking me along. Until next time. Cheryl/North Carolina

    ReplyDelete