We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
~Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Molokini

It seems whenever we go on vacation there are a few days that require me to get up earlier than usual. I know I push the envelope on a school day and magically get ready in 15 minutes, but still! Today was one of the early days, but man was it worth it!

Last time we were here we went on a whale watching trip on a recommendation of an Opstad parent that we ran in to at the hotel (I know, really?). But it was a great trip, and a great crew, so we booked with them again (Trilogy, if you're planning on coming over here). Unbelievably we had the same skipper as before -- a guy from Seattle that said if he was anywhere else in the world, he would be sailing in the San Juans.



Our trip was to Molokini for a snorkel.  Molokini is a crescent shaped volcano crater between Maui and Kahoolawe that has great visibility for snorkeling and diving.  We headed there first and had great fun looking at the fishes and the coral.  The visibility in Kaanapali has been limited, but it was so clear here! There weren't a ton of fishes, but the coral was fascinating -- bright colors and interesting shapes.  Plus, using good snorkel gear was amazing!  The masks that we own have been somewhat problematic. The one mom has been using has basically taken off the skin on part of her forehead. It's not as horrifying as it sounds, but it's not good. And I'm on my second pair of contacts because the salt water was just pouring in my mask. So using functional gear was blissful!





The second stop on our trip was at "Turtle Town" which is really just a snorkel spot off Makena Beach. The lava tubes extend far in to the ocean and the turtles love to swim in the tubes. We saw so many -- it was amazing. When they appear out of nowhere and swim next to you for a few minutes, it feels so magical. I have had a few moments like that when it feels like it's me and him alone in the ocean. Sigh. We were there for about 45 minutes just watching them swim in and out of the tubes and basically be amazing. By far my favorite part of today.




The rest of the day was spent motoring or sailing back from Turtle Town.  The boat was great, the rest of the tour participants were decent, and it made for a great day!

We spent the remaining hours of the day napping, lathered up with lotion. My spf 100 did little to battle the sun today. Yes, you heard it -- 100!  I was pretty vigilant, but I am a little pink. I'm sure by the time you see me I will have returned to my natural Alaskan ivory color. Mom's a little pink too, but her skin has some olive tones, and she might actually tan. :) We had great fish tacos for dinner and are now happily ensconced in our air conditioned room. I was joking with mom tonight that I have eaten more fish in the few days we have been here than I have in the two years since we were here last -- great mahi last night too!

Tomorrow we are off to explore Lanai.

3 comments:

  1. You guys are the best vacationers I know. You manage to cram so much into a single trip. Love it ... fun on!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPhones underwater -- are you guys doing a commercial for the new iPhone 6?

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet pictorials. Skin rubbing off forehead doesn't sound pleasant.

    ReplyDelete